Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cabbage Casserole

I've got my Pike Place Market apron on again today. Here is a recipe for Cabbage Casserole, otherwise known as "Lazy Cabbage Rolls".  It has all the same ingredients as cabbage rolls only you shred the cabbage instead of rolling the filling inside the cabbage leaves. I have made this numerous times.  It always comes out delicious, even if I make some changes, depending on what I have on hand. Thank you, Pam, for inadvertently reminding me this morning that I have been wanting to put this recipe up here with the rest of them. Enjoy this one.  We're having it for supper tonight! :) 


Cabbage Casserole


1 medium head of  cabbage
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to your taste
1 10 oz can tomato soup *
1 soup can of water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional, but I use it)
1/2 cup long grain rice (Minute Rice is okay, too, but long grain goes further)


* I sometimes use tomato sauce, canned diced tomatoes or spaghetti sauce, same measures, instead of tomato soup.


Shred cabbage and place into a well greased, large casserole dish (depending on the size of your cabbage) or dutch oven. Set aside. 


Saute the ground beef with onions and seasonings, breaking it up as it cooks. Add the tomato soup, water, Worcestershire sauce and rice and stir together.


Pour this mixture on top of the shredded cabbage and cover casserole dish with lid or foil (otherwise, the top and rice may become too dry).  Bake in a 350 F oven for one hour (a little longer if you have shredded your cabbage coarsely). 


Serves 4 people quite well. 

1 comment: