Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Mom's Chicken Fricot

When my three brothers were gone from home and it was just Mom, Dad and me, Mom and I compared and tried out new recipes. When I moved out, the comparing continued and we were always calling each other and sharing recipes. Once, when Mom and Dad were on a visit to our home, Dad took to making this as Mom wrote down the recipe for me. As she used to say, when it comes to a homemade recipe, it's made by taste and using your eye for measure, so recipes for these treasures weren't always written down anywhere. This is quite funny, actually. I am going to write this word for word (quotes and all). I hope you enjoy it. Some call this chicken stew. This is so good!

You can measure ingredients to your own specifications, but usually a large potato per person is used. Poutines are dumplings and the ones made here are potato dumplings.

------
Mom's Fricot aux Poutine Râpé

1 Chicken (small, medium or large) "peeled" and boiled with lots of onions (3 big ones).
Add salt and pepper
Add salted green onions* to your tasted and at least 2 chicken OXO cubes.

After the chicken is cooked, peel it off the bones.

Peel and cube potatoes. Cook in the broth. After it's almost cooked, add chicken and prepare your "Poutines".

(Pour 1 glass of wine, club soda, juice of any kind or any of your favourite drink. Drink the above (if you want)).

Proceed with your poutines.

Add enough broth to rapure blocks** to make soft balls, about 1 big tablespoon.  Drop in the above "mess", not too close together and watch the "DANG" thing cook. It should be fit to eat.

PS - Poutines should be about the size of a medium egg.

Love,
Mom

--------

* Salted green onions (an Acadian staple in Nova Scotia). Just use more salt and onions if you don't have these around.

** Rapure blocks are found in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and are used, these days, to make an Acadian dish called Rapure (Rappie Pie).

2 comments:

  1. I have been looking for this recipe for awhile so...Thanks! Just one question, how long do the poutines need to cook before eating?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure. I've made the Fricot but not with the dumplings yet. I'll ask around. I figure maybe 15-20 mins or maybe 30. I think I'll make it on the weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete