Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Mom's famous squares

I remember these squares quite fondly from when I was growing up.  My brother Andy says that, whenever there was a bake sale for school or for Cubs and Scouts, my brothers would bring a batch of these to sell. They would watch them like hawks, hoping no one would buy them so they could have the leftovers. They are that good! There were never any leftovers of these at the bake sales. Mom still made them after we were grown up and gone from home, for special occasions. Mostly at Christmastime.  Unfortunately, Alzheimer's has robbed her of the ability to make them anymore.  I would love to share them with you. They are also known as Blondies. I hope they become a family tradition in your house! 

Mom's Butterscotch Brownies

1/4 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, unbeaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 teaspoon salt

Melt butter in a saucepan and mix in the brown sugar.  Blend well and cool slightly.  Add egg and stir.  Add vanilla extract and mix again. 

In a bowl,  mix flour, baking powder, chopped walnuts and salt.  Add brown sugar mixture to this and stir. 

Pour into a greased 8" square pan and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, or until firm in the middle.  Let cool completely.

Frosting

1 teaspoon butter or margarine
1 cup icing sugar
milk
walnuts, finely chopped

Blend butter/margarine and icing sugar into a paste, if you can, and add a little milk at a time, mixing until the right consistency to frost the squares.  When the squares are iced, sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts.  Cut and serve. 

They go fast! You might want to make a double batch. 





4 comments:

  1. oooooooooooh I've made these and yes, they're definitely awesome!! So nice to have a happy memory associated with a specific recipe eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to share as many memories with my recipes as I can. I find it helps to have a bit of background when it comes to tried and true recipes, y'know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy squares! fooled my kids by putting m&m's or smarties on top cause they don't do nuts very well! Also have used canned vanilla icing because it is cheap and yummy! My son-inlaw loves these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Anon. Yes, I guess you can use a variety of toppings for these. I even like them without icing at all, freshly warm, out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete