Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Grandmere's Banana Bread

My Dad's Mother was such a good cook. Both of my Grandmothers were. I have many great memories of traveling across Canada to Nova Scotia to visit with my relatives and eating copious amounts of food. What is it with Grandmothers wanting to make sure you ate enough, huh? LOL My Dad's Mom, Leah, always had a boiled haddock dinner for us for a meal, an Acadian Rapure for another and always had some of her banana bread on the counter. I even remember her always making tea. "Remember", she'd say "always make sure to heat your teapot with boiling water before you add the teabags and then you add the water".. "Oh, and don't forget to run boiling water in your teacup, too, before adding your tea".  Always smiling, always stuffing our faces. Aaaah... such memories. This recipe is basic and I show my exchanges along with it. It can very easily be doubled. Bet you can't eat just one slice! 


Grandmere's Banana Bread
Preheat oven to 300 F


Cream together: 
1 cup of sugar (I only use 1/2 cup and it's more than enough)
1/2 cup shortening (I use soft margarine)
dash of salt
3 medium, ripe bananas, mashed


Add 2 beaten eggs to the above mixture. 


In a separate bowl, mix:


2 cups all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat or half and half)
1 teaspoon baking soda 


Mix all together until just blended.  Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake in a 300 F oven for one hour. 


* For 4 mini-loaves, bake for 40 mins. 
   For 12 muffins, bake at 400 F for 16-18 minutes.



2 comments:

  1. When I make this, I want to add walnuts. About how much would I add? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcelle, I would use 1 cup finely chopped walnuts. That's what is usually used in a nut bread. I do see recipes for banana nut bread but I haven't tried any of them. With only one of us able to eat nuts in our house, that would be just cruel, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete