Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Mary's Gingersnap Cookies

This is an awesome recipe for gingersnap cookies. It comes from my sister-in-law Mary who is an awesome cook.  I'm not the only one who can vouch for that. She was always making cookies when our nieces were growing up and I was able to sample a few batches myself, when I was visiting. Lucky me! I've tried a few gingersnap and soft molasses cookie recipes but this one has got to be the easiest and, by far, the tastiest. I'm sure you will agree. You might just want to double the batch. Seriously! 


Gingersnap Cookies


3/4 cup shortening (or half margarine, half shortening)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons (at least) ground ginger (I use 3)
granulated sugar to coat


Preheat oven to 375 F.


Cream together shortening/margarine and sugar. Add egg and molasses and beat well. Combine flour, baking soda and spices in a bowl. Add to creamed mixture and combine until smooth. Dough should be a bit stiff to roll. 


Roll dough into 1 inch balls and dip into sugar to coat. Place on a greased baking sheet and flatten slightly with a fork.  


Bake at 375 F for 10-12 minutes, or until tops are slightly cracked and cookies are nearly firm. 


Makes about 40 cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment